The village of Niata was built during the last Byzantine years. In 1350, Theodoros Palaiologos, the governor (despot) of Mystras, gave his permission to 10,000 Greek in-spirit and Orthodox inhabitants of Northern Epirus (modern day Albania) to settle in Lakonia along with their families. Together with the locals, they established a village that in 1398 Palaiologos named Netata or Ntata, interpreting the ancient Greek word for youth ”NEOTA-NEOTIS-NIATA”. Initially all of them retained their own customs but eventually became Hellenized. They only retained their language which was spoken by many of the Greeks in the nearby villages and in other parts of Greece as well. During that time the first church of the village ( dedicated to Saint Nicolas) was built, which was also a cemetery.
To learn more about the surrounding historical background click on this orange button :
Nowadays, Niata is a lively village, of about 1000 inhabitants. There are several associations that remain active during the year and organize social and cultural events and actions (for example theatrical plays, excursions, public utility works etc). The elementary school not only continues to exist but has been modernized and welcomes now students from the nearby villages of Agios Dimitrios, Apidia and Koupia that attend the first three grades (the other three grades are housed in the elementary school of Agios Dimitrios). In the village you can find a cultural center with a public library,
There are 4 cafes and and 3 restaurants, a bakery, a post-office, a pharmacy, two mini-markets, a pastry shop, a pasta shop and an oil factory. Noteworthy is the park that has been developed outside of the oil factory. It consists of a carefully designed area with benches, banks and paved pathways that connect the numerous very old stone wells that exist in this location, which is wonderfully illuminated during the night. The village is also adorned with the numerous small churches. The natural landscape is characterized by the presence of vineyards, olive trees and numerous mountains that are spread all around, highlighted by an amazing view of the breath-taking mountain Taygetos. During the summer the village vibrates from the many visitors from Greece and abroad that chose to spend the holidays there. This is not only because of the family ties but because of its proximity to the beaches and other points of interest around in Laconia.
Therefore, we are especially proud to have established our winery in such a well-organized and hospitable village that meets all the pre-requisites to become even better. We hope we can contribute like this to the maintenance and the development of this lively local community.